Friday, September 30, 2011

Mary and Max - Sunday 2nd October 5pm

It is time for our 'claymation' special this weekend at the Alhambra, which is a novelty for the club and should prove interesting; how do clay models translate to adult movies? What makes one of these movies so good it wins an Oscar?

We have two films to see, both directed by Adam Elliot; the first is the short 'Harvie Krumpet', which won the 2004 Oscar for the Best Animated Short Film - 'The odd biography of a man who has Tourette's Syndrome, chronic bad luck, menial jobs, nudist tendencies, and a book of "fakts" hung around his neck.' I'll confess I am not a 'clay lover', but I have recently watched this film and I'll admit I liked it, despite my initial reservations. A film about life...intriguing!

Our main movie for the night is 'Mary and Max', Elliot's follow-up - 'A tale of friendship between two unlikely pen pals: Mary, a lonely, eight-year-old girl living in the suburbs of Melbourne, and Max, a forty-four-year old, severely obese man living in New York'. Adam Elliot certainly picks his subjects! Again, reviewers and audiences seem to love it, what will Keswick Film Club make of it? I suspect we will be mixed, but come along and see what you think!